Bottles ready for cultured foods and beverages

Bottles ready for cultured foods and beverages
Ten Green Bottles!!

Wednesday 17 October 2012

Beef Jerky made from Mince

I prefer my jerky made from mince - beef, lamb, veal. I found that ordinary jerky was just a tad chewy and some young friends of mine thought the same.

So I make my jerky from beef sometimes mixed with organic lamb mince. You then have thin slices of very tasty protein that doesn't exercise your teeth and jaw quite so much. The kids really love this one!!

 Here's how I make it.

1.5kg organic mince (you can use chicken or turkey but turkey is probably a little too low fat)
Raw Apple cider vinegar
Sea Salt
2 Carrots, grated
2 Zucchinis, grated
Spices of your choice (I generally use cumin)
Tamari sauce

Throw mince into large bowl and pour over apple cider vinegar to cover. (Raw apple cider vinegar is unfiltered and contains floating strands and particles, which is called the "mother of vinegar.).  Leave to marinade overnight. Mince is ready when it is not red or pink anymore. The acid of the vinegar cooks the meat so the meat is not damaged through heating.

When the mince is a brown colour (not red or pink) turn onto strainer and squeeze out the liquids.

When this is done, place onto paraflexx sheets and score into mouth size pieces.

Place into dehydrator and dry at 68 degrees C or 155 degrees F for approximately 8 hours. Check jerky after this time as it may very well need more time to dry.

When you think it's finished, leave out to cool. Once cooled, check to see if it's cooked fully. Properly dried jerky when bent, should crack but not break.

In our hot climate (Queensland) you do need to store your jerky in the fridge. I always carry a small container in my handbag and I've never had problems leaving it out of the fridge for a few days.



Prepared mince with vegies and spices





This is mince that has been in apple cider vinegar. It has been cooked by the acid of the vinegar

Liquid from the mince is then squeezed out. I use a strainer for this

Jerky mince scored ready for dehydrator

Fully dried jerky



No comments:

Post a Comment